Girls on the Run

by Lisa Rosen on April 19, 2010

This is Delaney with my niece, Brynn.  On Saturday they ran their first 5k, with a program called Girls on the Run.  They’ve been training with their group for several months; the culminating event was a real road race.

Personally, I think it’s a great program.  Delaney is . . . less impressed.  She spent Saturday’s event walking 10 feet behind me, scowling.  She switched on her iPod, put on her headphones, and went into survival mode.  I had to really fight the urge to go into cheerleader mode, or this-wasn’t-the-plan-we’re-supposed-to-be-running mode.  I don’t like deviating from the script, and a race is for running, right?

Wrong.

I’ve been there and done that.  I’ve trained, followed all the rules, built up gradually, and on race day found myself walking.  Slowly.  And I still finished, did the distance, and the world didn’t come to an end.

When I was 8 years old, like Brynn, or even 13, like Delaney, I would no more have covered three miles under my own power, without a darn good destination, than I would’ve tried to swim the English Channel.  I just wasn’t that kind of kid.  The fact that these girls are out there, moving their bodies–and yes, learning to appreciate their power–thrills me.

Just like the pride on their faces when they got their finisher’s medals.

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Eileen Woudstra April 19, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Way to go Ladies! I love the Girls on the Run philosophy and can’t wait til my daughter is old enough to participate.

Lisa Rosen April 19, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Hi Eileen–
It is a great philosophy; my one suggestion would be: don’t wait until she’s 12. I think too much middle-school attitude has set in by then for girls that age to fully embrace the message. Start ’em earlier . . .

catherine pate April 19, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Brynn has loved girls on the run….all but the actual running part. On Saturday it was more like “Girls on a Stroll.” And yes, I had to do a huge mental shift when I realized there would be very little running involved. I was proud of both of us– I remained very calm and talked about how walking was fabulous exercise too and we certainly didn’t have to run. 😉 Brynn felt a huge sense of accomplishment that she set a goal and accomplished it. I actually got teary as we crossed the finish line and Brynn was absolutely beaming. What a great day.

Lisa Rosen April 19, 2010 at 7:12 pm

I was immensely proud of Brynn too (and of us patient moms!). You’re right–she was beaming at the finish. You could see the accomplishment on her face.
What strong daughters we have!

LisaRosen April 19, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Post-race thoughts on the 5k my daughter & I did on Saturday: http://bit.ly/d1Dy1U

This comment was originally posted on Twitter

Frances Pate Hill April 19, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Way to go Delaney and Brynn!! Aubrey’s Girls on the Run 5k is in May. I will send pictures so you can post them to your blog! : )