Guacamole for Dinner

by Lisa Rosen on August 21, 2009

DSC01513I realize that this looks like a big pile of glop–it’s actually really yummy.  It’s also quick, easy, and super-good-for-you.

It does not, however, have a name.  I think of the rice and beans as a vehicle for guacamole, so this is what I make when I want guacamole for dinner (which has been often, lately–I’ve been craving avocados a lot).

I realize it’s not actually avocado season at the moment; I know–I preach about eating seasonal food, then I go eating piles of avocados at the wrong time of year.  My rationale?  Avocados don’t grow here anyway, so they’re bound to be in season somewhere.  I’m sure my locavore card is going to be revoked any minute now . . .

Anyway, I got the idea from this blog, but the execution was purely a matter of what was in my fridge.  It was a fantastic meal-in-a-bowl, and it’ll be moving into the regular rotation at my house.  Here’s what I did:

Rice, Beans, and Guacamole

1 batch of brown jasmine rice, cooked however you prefer (if you don’t have a handy-dandy rice cooker, follow the package instructions)

1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained well
1/2 cup or so of salsa

Dump the beans into a saucepan.  Use a slotted spoon to scoop the chunky parts of the salsa out of the jar, draining it as well as you can.  Put the contents of the spoon into the saucepan, and heat it up on the stove over highish-medium heat (you don’t want to scorch the pan).  Add as much of the salsa juice as you want to make the beans as soupy (or not) as you like.

Guacamole:

a couple of ripe avocados
1/4 red onion, diced very small
the juice of one lime
salt and pepper to taste

Put the diced onion into a small bowl and cover with ice water.  Let that sit for 10 minutes or so; I find that this keeps the onion from giving me dragon breath after dinner.  While it’s soaking, prep your avocados:  cut each one in half around the equator.  When you twist the two halves apart, the pit will stick in one side.  Hold that half in the palm of one hand, and use a sharp knife to CAREFULLY whack the pit.  The knife should stick in the pit, enabling you to pull it out.  Score the flesh of the avocado like a tic-tac-toe board, then turn it inside out.  You may have to use a spoon to scrape the squares off the peel into your bowl.  For the record, this technique works on mangoes, as well.

Once you’ve got all the avocado cubes in the bowl, rough mash them with a fork, to the consistency you like.  Squeeze in plenty of lime juice, and add salt and pepper to taste.  Drain the onion really well, and stir it in gently.

Serve a scoop of rice, a spoonful of beans, and a big dollop of guacamole in a bowl.

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

Allison Arevalo August 21, 2009 at 3:51 pm

Thanks for metioning my blog, and glad you enjoyed the recipe. We eat this all the time for dinner – so good.

Lisa Rosen August 24, 2009 at 4:59 pm

Allison–Thanks for the idea–it’s going into my regular rotation. Seriously yummy.
Thanks for checking in!
Lisa

CATHERINE pATE August 21, 2009 at 10:17 pm

i may start showing up at your house right around dinner time!!
yum! that is right up my alley!!!

catseyepi August 24, 2009 at 12:58 pm

delicious guacamole dinner by @LisaRosen : http://bit.ly/34TkSt
#food #dinner

This comment was originally posted on Twitter

bearrockraleigh August 24, 2009 at 12:59 pm

RT @catseyepidelicious guacamole dinner by @LisaRosen : http://bit.ly/34TkSt #food #dinner Sounds Great!

This comment was originally posted on Twitter

Catherine Flowers August 24, 2009 at 1:05 pm

I’m with Catherine! This meal sounds too yummy to pass up. I am going to try it out tonight and see how it goes 🙂 There’s no chance you would happen to know how many calories per serving this meal is, would you? Thanks for letting me steal this recipe!

-Cat

Lisa Rosen August 24, 2009 at 5:01 pm

Hi Catherine–
I’m sorry I don’t have a calorie count for you, but it would be easy enough to calculate. Just be conscious of the reality of your serving size vs. the theoretical serving sizes on package labels!
Thanks for checking in, & enjoy your dinner!
Lisa

Janelle August 31, 2009 at 4:51 pm

Hi Lisa,

I came across your blog and decided to give your borrowed recipe a try. Keep in mind that I am definitely not the cooking type- but I posted a blog about with a picture of how it turned out : http://runjanellerun.blogspot.com/2009/08/who-said-you-couldnt-eat-guacamole-for.html

Thanks for the great idea. It turned out to be surprisingly yummy, and my boyfriend LOVED it as well 🙂

-janelle-

Lisa Rosen September 9, 2009 at 11:27 am

Hi Janelle–
Sorry I’m slow getting back to you–your guacamole looked delicious! Glad you enjoyed it; welcome to the blog!
Lisa

Larry Walker Jr August 31, 2009 at 11:05 pm

Excellent. You’re on your way to being a chef.

This comment was originally posted on Run, Janelle, Run!

janelle September 1, 2009 at 12:00 am

lol…I wouldn’t say that just yet!

This comment was originally posted on Run, Janelle, Run!